Sunday, January 22, 2017

Known by God

Isaiah 59:3b-5 (ESV)
Why have we fasted, and you see it not?
    Why have we humbled ourselves, and you take no knowledge of it?’
Behold, in the day of your fast you seek your own pleasure,
    and oppress all your workers.
 Behold, you fast only to quarrel and to fight
    and to hit with a wicked fist.
Fasting like yours this day
    will not make your voice to be heard on high.
 Is such the fast that I choose,
    a day for a person to humble himself?
Is it to bow down his head like a reed,
    and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him?
Will you call this a fast,
    and a day acceptable to the Lord?

God doesn't mince words with the Israelites in this passage. He tells them straight up exactly what He thinks: 

"You put on a good show. You put on the sackcloth of fasting and cover yourself with ashes, and put your head down as if to humble yourself, but in the midst of your fasting, your heart attitude shows: you mistreat your workers, you argue and engage in brawls. Do you think I only want the outward appearance of fasting? Do you forget I can see all your other actions? Do you forget I can see your heart attitude?" 

How would this conversation sound in modern-day vernacular? I'm not trying to put words into the mouth of God Almighty, but what is He saying to me?


"You put on a good show. You show up at church every time there's a service, and you write verses from my Word all over Facebook. Then you go to work and use crass language. You engage in questionable business practices. You point fingers and accuse others, and assume their motives, feeling yourself to be righteous more than they. Do you forget I can see your heart?  Do you think this is the service I want from you?

In David's instructions to Solomon, he doesn't even mention actions -- he begins with the heart.  I Chronicles 28:9 says, 

"And you, Solomon my son, know the God of your father and serve him with a whole heart and with a willing mind, for the Lord searches all hearts and understands every plan and thought." 


God wants my heart, not my actions. He knows my actions will follow my heart. When I get things out of order and put on actions without a true heart, I become holier-than-thou. I use my good behavior to beat others over the head and make myself feel better. 

I think, especially lately, that Facebook is a prime example of this. Heart attitudes show up on Facebook, and especially during such a time of political upheaval and all-out hatred as we are experiencing now. I say this carefully but honestly:  some of my Christian friends spew hatred on Facebook, then turn around and speak God's truth and love at church. God sees both our church behavior and our Facebook rants. We can put on all the holiness we want to for church, but God sees our heart.

Would God say to me, "I saw your Facebook post and I heard you joking with your co-workers on Monday, right after you put your hands up in praise to me at church on Sunday.  Will you call this a fast, and a day acceptable to the Lord?"

Lord God, let my heart be yours so wholly, so completely that my actions naturally follow suit; that they become an irrepressible picture of Your love; that You find them pleasing in Your eyes because my heart is pure. Lord, make me unafraid to be known by You.

No comments:

Post a Comment